Traffic signs are developed in line with the following:
- Law on Road Traffic Safety
- Law on Building Materials
- Rulebook on Traffic Signalization
- Standard SRPS EN 12899
- Technical instructions of PE “ROADS OF SERBIA“ – BS 06 and OP 01
Traffic sign in line with the standard SRPS EN 12899 meets the following requirements:
1) load safety factor class (PAF1);
2) wind load class (W5);
3) dynamic snow load class (DSL1);
4) maximum temporary deflection class (TDB4).
For the development of signs, we use aluminium material with tensile strength of minimum 155 N / mm2 for traffic signs with bent edges and extruded aluminium profile (clamps).
During the development of the base, we use aluminium materials which are in line with DIN EN 573-1 and 573-2, or materials with the following designations:
- EN AV 52 51 H 24 / H 34,
- EN AV 30 05 H 22 / H 49,
- EN AV 57 54 H 22 / H 34 / H 42.
For the development of sign assembly parts and extruded elements, we use aluminium materials which are in line with DIN EN 573-3, or materials with the following designations:
- EN AV 60 60 T 4 / T 66,
- EN AV 60 05 A / T 6.
The back side of all traffic signs is painted in a grey tone with RAL 7043, minimum thickness of 12 µm (in line with EN 13523-1).
Traffic signs with the surface not exceeding 1.1 m2 are developed from a single part. Traffic signs with the surface exceeding 1.1 m2 are permitted to be developed from several parts, with mandatory structural reinforcement on the back side of the sign.
Signs which are developed with bent edges have double-bent edges. Minimum depth of the curved part is 15 mm (image 1). In the zones around angles, traffic signs do not have sharp edges, namely they are bent along their entire edge (image 2).
Image 1: Base of the sign with double-bent edges
Image 2: Base of the sign with bent edges along the entire line of the sign
Reflective sheeting applied on the sign base is manufactured by “Avery Dennison” and “3M” in classes I, II and III and has a warranty period for retroreflective properties from 7 to 12 years (depending on the manufacturer and sheeting class).
In the field of vertical signalization, the provisions of EN 12899-1 are applied in European countries, while in Serbia, SRPS EN 12899-1 is applied. This standard specifies the requirements for new fixed traffic signs. The standard describes cases without and with retroreflective properties, as well as conditions with the presence of diffuse lighting from the external environment.
Materials for the development of traffic signs are divided into:
- Materials of class I – White sheeting retroreflection coefficient is 70 cd/lx-1m-2, as regulated by the standard EN 12899 – 1.
- Materials of class II – White sheeting retroreflection coefficient is 250 cd/lx-1m-2, as regulated by the standard EN 12899 – 1.
- Materials of class III – Sheeting retroreflection coefficient is 500 – 800 cd/lx-1m-2, and it comes in several types. Properties and application are determined with the European Assessment Document (EAD 12001-01-0106) related to the performances of micro prismatic retroreflective sheeting.